Tis the season for baking and baking with apples nonetheless! I tried out this recipe yesterday and just had to share it with you all as it's the perfect warm treat to serve up on a cool fall day. Let me know if you try it and what you think of it. We love it here! (Recipe is from my Taste of Home Baking Book). Enjoy!
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1-1/2 cups vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 cups chopped peeled apples
- 1 cup coarsely chopped pecans (Topping: 1/2 cup butter, 1/4 cup milk, 1 cup packed brown sugar and a pinch of salt)
- In a large bowl, beat eggs until foamy; gradually add sugar. Blend in oil and vanilla. Combine flour, salt and baking soda; add to egg mixture. Stir in apples and pecans. Pour into a greased 10-in. tube pan; bake at 350° for 1-1/4 hours or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before inverting onto a serving plate.
- In a small saucepan, combine topping ingredients. Bring to a boil; boil 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Slowly pour over warm cake (some topping will run down onto the serving plate.)